A downloadable game
An educational VR game about fishery bycatch.
Bycatch-22 explores the environmental impacts of bycatch, non-desirable species that are caught as a byproduct of commercial fisheries. Onboard a fishing boat of their own, players are tasked with sorting through growing netfuls of flopping fish, scallops, prawns, and trash, and will need to think and move quickly to return bycatch to the sea in time.
The experience aims to inspire players to make sustainable seafood choices, avoiding seafood that generates excess bycatch, and to join the consumer movement for sustainability.
Bycatch-22 was developed for the HTC Vive and requires tracked controllers. (It supports SteamVR 2.0 input remapping, so it theoretically should be playable on other SteamVR-supported systems.)
- G: Restarts the game (back to tutorial)
- R: Restarts the current level.
- W: Loads the level selection area.
- T: Ends the current level.
Version v. 1.03 Update Notes: (2/4/2020)
- Fixed bug where objects would always show their outlines.
- Updated citations in level ending sequence.
Bycatch-22 was created by Matthew Grinnell and Peyton Lee through the foundry10 summer internship program. It was inspired by our love for marine science, a passion for game development, and a particularly exciting (and/or traumatic) experience aboard a scientific trawl.
With Installer (Recommended!)
- Download the installer (Bycatch-22 Installer.exe) and run.
With ZIP File
- Save this ZIP file in a convenient place.
- Navigate to where the ZIP file was downloaded to in a file browser. Select the ZIP file and then select Extract > Extract All in the upper menu, then choose a folder to extract to.
- Set up and start the HTC Vive or compatible VR system.
- Navigate to where Bycatch-22 was extracted to and then run Bycatch-22.exe (application) to start the game.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.